Saturday, April 9, 2011

Our story begins....

My husband and I are not your typical couple. We tend to like to do things our own way, differently but, together. Our relationship didn't start out like most others do either. We met on Match.com. in 2002 and even that meeting was purely a case of not changing a default setting on my profile (that is a whole other story itself.) Regardless of how it happened we met, fell in love and got married a year and a half later in 2004.


During our courtship we shared a lot of dreams. One of those dreams was to live a simple life in the country. For me, this was just extending what I grew up with. I'm a country girl from a farming family. I always intended to enjoy life living on a patch of  good ground, plant a garden and raise a few livestock.


My husband was raised in the 'burbs of PG county in Maryland. His only experiences of farming was when he visited his aunt and uncle on their farm in PA. He loved making hay, working with the cows and the tractor plus all the other chores (that feel like fun when you're visiting).  To him, Green Acres was a dream come true. He couldn't wait to plant his suburban raised, backside on a tractor seat and go work the back 40.


It didn't take me too long to notice that inside the chest of my "cityfied" boyfriend beat the heart of a  true country boy. Soon we were sharing ideas, buying nearly every homesteading/farming/gardening magazine on the news stands and looking for the perfect piece of land to call our own.


The search for our own "Green Acres" took us all over parts of WV and a good bit of VA before we finally found it...by accident. Kind of like how we met in the first place. It's funny how doing one thing differently in your daily routine can make a profound change in your life. But, that's another story...

No comments:

Post a Comment